Be vigilant, secure your home and vehicles. Don’t let thieves steal your Christmas spirit.
Tuesday 13th of February 2018
We have seen an increased in the number of residential dwelling and vehicle breaks in Newport over the past few weeks and we are urging ; people to be extra vigilant over the Christmas period.
Detective Inspector Steven Maloney said : “I would just like to remind people to take extra precautions to secure their homes and vehicles to avoid becoming a victim of theft or burglary this Christmas. ; Thieves are opportunistic and following these simple steps can deter would be thieves and save you a lot of heartache this Christmas:
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; If you are out doing some last minute Christmas shopping, please don’t leave shopping in your car unless it is unavoidable. ; If you do, please make sure you leave it in the boot and ensure your car is locked. Take a look around to make sure there is no one watching you.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Ensure all doors and windows are locked whenever you leave the home and overnight.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Never leave your keys in doors/windows – keep them out of sight.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Use timer switches on lamps and leave a radio on while you are out to make the house look occupied.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Make sure valuable items and Christmas gifts are kept out of sight – don’t leave Christmas presents under the tree if they can be seen from the outside.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Be careful when disposing of boxes of valuable gifts – don’t leave them outside where they can be seen.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Going away this Christmas? ; Don’t advertise the fact your house will be empty on social media.
• ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Use a UV pen to mark your valuables with your post code.
If you have any information or you see anything suspicious, please contact us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.
Source: https://www.gwent.police.uk/en/newsroom/story/news/be-vigilant-secure-your-home-and-vehicles-dont-let-thieves-steal-your-christmas-spirit/ (Wed Dec 20th 2017)